Success in international business is not just about you and your customers in the USA. Get to know the business facts of the country you are dealing with and familiarize yourself with the different business practices, cultures, customs regulations and the economy.
Country facts USA
KEY FACTS USA
United States of America
323,1 Million (2017)
United States Dollar USD$
The United States of America is a federation of 50 states. The United States is the third largest country in the world in population, after China and India. The US is also the third largest country in area, after Russia and Canada.
The US currency is the US Dollar ($). The United States is rich in minerals. The United States has about 20% of coal, 13% of petroleum, and 24% of natural gas reserves in the world. The oil is mainly extracted from the Gulf of Mexico, and in the states of Alaska and Texas. The main export products of the US are motor vehicles, aircraft, food, iron and steel products, electronic equipment, industrial and energy generating machines, chemical products and consumer goods. Major import products include ores and scrap metal, petroleum and petroleum products, machinery, transport equipment (especially cars) and office products.
Adrian Dalsey, Larry Hillblom and Robert Lynn, (DHL) three ambitious entrepreneurs from San Francisco, founded DHL in 1969 and began transporting customs documents by plane. With our experience since 1969, DHL Express is your ideal partner to support your business. Easily send your important documents and packages via DHL Express to, for example, New York, Washington, Los Angeles, Chicago, Houston, Philadelphia or Phoenix.
Doing business in the USA
- The Americans have a smooth and jovial way of doing business and quickly use each other's first names.
- Americans literally sum up the saying 'time is money'.
- Speak clear language. Indirect or vague answers can be interpreted as a sign of insincerity or mistrust; 'Tell it like it is'.
- Humor is important, but do not make jokes about sensitive topics such as religion, politics and race.
- Americans feel comfortable in conflict situations: 'take it or leave it'.
- American entrepreneurs are often formally dressed. A suit for men and a ladies' suit is recommended
Bron: Rijkdienst voor Ondernemend Nederland (rvo.nl)
Trade indicators USA
- The capital of the United States is Washington D.C.
- With an area of 9,826,675 km², the US is the third largest country
- The form of government is a constitutional republic with a presidential system.
- GDP in 2016 amounted to 18.57 trillion USD
- The largest cities in America are: New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Houston, Philadelphia and Phoenix.
USA and DHL Express
....since 1969... ...6000 employees... ... 100 Service Centers
...over 4100 vehicles... ... 4 hubs and gateways
USA/ Netherlands transit times
| Transit times|
DHL Express strives to provide accurate and reliable information. Published transit times are indicative. At www.dhl.nl you can view the current transit times. Published transit times are based on the most common transit time between two countries to direct delivery areas in the destination country. The transit time for non-direct delivery areas is available through our customer service. Published transit times may vary, among other things, due to local customs procedures in the destination country or a non-average value, size or a non-average weight of a shipment.
National bank holidays USA 2019
|01 jan||New Year's day|
|21 jan||Martin Luther Kingdag Jr. Day|
|18 febr||President’s Day|
|27 may||Memorial Day|
|04 july||Independence Day|
|02 sep||Labor Day|
|14 okt||Columbus Day|
|11 nov||Veterans Day|
|23 nov||Thanksgiving Day|
|24 nov||Black Friday|
|25 dec||Christmas day|
|26 dec||Boxing day|
Increase your knowledge with DHL Express
BECOME A CUSTOMER AT DHL EXPRESS
From SME to Multinational and from Webshop to Factory
✔ Easy Shipping
✔ Preferential business rates
✔ Exclusive tools
✔ Trusted Network
Open a business account