Success in international business is not just about you and your customers in the United Kingdom. Get to know the business facts of the country you are dealing with and familiarize yourself with the different business practices, cultures, customs regulations and the economy.
Country facts UK
KEY FACTS UK
65,6 Million (2017)
The United Kingdom comprises a total of four areas: England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. The first three together form the island of Great Britain. The majority of the inhabitants (80%) of the United Kingdom live in England. The United Kingdom is the 5th largest economy in the world with a strong financial center. The United Kingdom has been one of the Netherlands' most important trading partners for many years. The most important export products are chemical products and machines. The Netherlands also exports meat, vegetables and fruit.
Doing business in the UK
- Do not be too direct. Our directness is sometimes experienced as rude and rude.
- Do not give any criticism, certainly not to the British themselves or to their customs.
- Do not talk about private matters in the workplace.
- In the United Kingdom, people are usually fairly formal.
- The British businessman is very punctual and expects that his visitor is too. Any delay must be reported immediately. Be on time.
- Ladies are slightly freer in their choice of clothing, but Brits generally do not appreciate an excess of jewelery.
- Your British host may invite you for a business lunch. An extensive lunch often starts between 12.30 and 13.00 and can take a long time.
- A business conversation starts and ends with small talk about the journey, the weather and sport.
Bron: Rijkdienst voor Ondernemend Nederland (rvo.nl)
Trade indicators UK
- 5th largest economy in the world
- GDP of $2.9 trillion (2015)
- Read more about the Brexit
United Kingdom and DHL Express
DHL Express has been active in the United Kingdom since 1974. With our years of experience and extensive local network, DHL Express is your ideal partner to support your business in this important economy. For example, DHL was the first express transporter to have a helicopter service in London. Simply send your important documents and parcels with DHL Express to, for example, London, Belfast, Edinburgh or Manchester.
....since 1974... ...3600 employees... ... 42 Service Centers
...over 1500 vehicles... ...and 26 own airplanes
United Kingdom/ Netherlands transit times
| Transit times|
DHL Express strives to provide accurate and reliable information. Published transit times are indicative. At www.dhl.nl you can view the current transit times. Published transit times are based on the most common transit time between two countries to direct delivery areas in the destination country. The transit time for non-direct delivery areas is available through our customer service. Published transit times may vary, among other things, due to local customs procedures in the destination country or a non-average value, size or a non-average weight of a shipment.
National Bank Holidays UK 2019
|01 jan||New Year's Day|
|17 march||St. Patricksday|
|19 apr||Godo Friday|
|21 apr||Easter Sunday|
|22 apr||Easter Monday|
|06 may||May Day|
|27 may||Bank holiday|
|26 aug||Bank holiday|
|25 dec||Christmas day|
|26 dec||Boxing day|
BECOME A CUSTOMER AT DHL EXPRESS
From SME to Multinational and from Webshop to Factory
✔ Easy Shipping
✔ Preferential business rates
✔ Exclusive tools
✔ Trusted Network
Open a business account