1. Which payment methods can I use with DHL?
If you regularly send shipments, we advise you to request a DHL customer number with customized rates. You will then periodically receive an invoice for the services used.
If you ship less frequently, you can use our shipping application MyDHL+. Through this application you have the option to pay the transport costs by credit card, iDEAL, PayPal or pay at the courier. Read more about our payment options.
2. Do I have to pay import duties on the items I buy?
This depends on the type of goods, the value of the goods, the origin (within or outside the EU), the agreements you have made with the supplier about this and the country where you import the goods. More information can be found in our Customs brochure, in the chapter 'Import - Customs rules' and on import duties and VAT.
If customs impose duties, DHL will pay them in the first instance and pass them on to you.
3. I will be purchasing items from a company outside the European Union that uses DHL for shipping. Do I have to pay import duties on the items I buy?
Depending on the type of goods, the value of the goods and the delivery conditions used by the supplier, customs duties may be charged for a dutiable shipment. More information can be found in our Customs brochure, in the chapter 'Import - Customs rules' and on import duties and VAT.
4. Our company wants to export our products to multiple countries. We have no experience in this area. Can DHL give us advice?
Definitely! DHL has unprecedented experience with international transport. Please contact the sales team at email@example.com to discuss your requirements.
5. How do I calculate the volumetric weight?
What is volumetric weight?
The volumetric weight of a shipment is a calculation that indicates the density of a package. A less compact item usually takes up more space compared to its actual weight. The costs of a shipment are influenced, among other things, by the amount of space the shipment takes up in an aircraft.
Your shipment is weighed in two ways; the actual weight and the volumetric weight. The rate of your shipment depends on the weight in kilograms or volume in cubic meters. Are you sending a large 'lightweight' shipment? Then we calculate with the volumetric weight. After you have calculated the volumetric weight, compare it with the weight in kilograms. The higher of the two counts as the weight of your shipment.
How do you calculate the volumetric weight of your express shipment?
The volumetric weight can be calculated according to this formula: length x width x height / 5000.
DHL Express uses the following volume key: 1m³ = 200 kg.
You have to send a shipment of 20 kg with the dimensions 75 cm (L) by 40 cm (W) by 40 cm (H).
The calculation is then as follows:
The volumetric weight in this case is higher than the actual weight of the shipment, so the rate is based on 24 kg.
6. A Time Definite delivery was not delivered at the agreed time. Can I request a refund from DHL?
If your shipment has not been delivered at the agreed time, you can contact our Customer Service for a possible refund. This money-back guarantee only applies to DHL EXPRESS 9:00 and 12:00 (Export and Import).
7. How do I file a claim?
- Shipment-related damage/loss: If your shipments have not arrived or have been damaged, we advise you to contact our Customer Service as soon as possible. Provide an accurate description of the goods and packaging. More information can be found in the DHL Express claim procedure.
- Non-shipment related matters: Every day thousands of DHL drivers take to the road to deliver a car full of packages or pallets to the right address. Sometimes things go wrong. With the claim form you can claim damage that is not related to a specific shipment, but for example to vehicles or other property. Claim form
8. I am asked by DHL to pay customs duties and VAT for goods that I have purchased on the Internet. Why are these costs not included in the shipping costs I paid?
Customs duties and VAT are usually not included in the price and shipping costs that you pay with an online purchase. This is a choice of the supplier. When you buy goods over the internet, keep in mind that they do not always come from your own country or from the European Union. When the goods are sent from a non-EU country, you must pay customs duties and VAT upon importation into the European Union. In order to deliver the goods to you as quickly as possible, DHL advances the customs duties and VAT owed and pays customs. Read more about import duties and VAT.
9. My details have changed (relocation, Chamber of Commerce number, telephone number, company name, e-mail address, etc.) how can I report this?
- This can be done easily via the online contact form.
- Do you have a permanent contact person at DHL Express? Then inform him personally about the changes in good time. This prevents, for example, incorrectly addressed invoices.
- Will your details at the Chamber of Commerce change? In that case, make sure that you inform us of the change if the details at the Chamber of Commerce have been adjusted.
- Do you want to change the details of a shipment? Then it is important to contact our customer service, via 088-0552000
Your details will be changed as soon as possible. If we need further information, we will contact you.
Heeft u een vraag tijdens kantooruren? Neem dan contact met ons op via de chat.