The corona virus, more precisely the Covid-19 virus, which surfaced in China at the end of last year, has now become widespread. The WHO (World Health Organization) has determined that the virus is a serious health threat.
To prevent further spread, governments have introduced measures that could have an impact on the movement of goods. DHL Express makes every effort to continue the services to our customers worldwide, with the health of employees and customers always being paramount.
Subscribe to our DHL Resilience360 Newsletter with valuable information about COVID-19 and supply chain risks, special reports, webinars and media highlights.
Extra precautions for pick-up and delivery
To protect our couriers, customers and partners, DHL Express is taking the following measures, in accordance with all guidelines of the government and the RIVM - National Institute for Public Health and the Environment:
- Our couriers keep an appropriate distance between themselves and to customers.
- Naturally, our couriers ensure optimal hygiene by extra washing of hands and using disinfectant wipes.
- In addition, our vehicles, scanners and other devices are cleaned regularly and at the end of each workday.
- Customers can send or receive their shipment without physical contact with a scanner or another device.
- Shipments are no longer delivered to neighbours so that the consignee does not have to pick up the parcel at a different address.
Duties / VAT - pay before delivery
- Do you need to pay import duties and/or VAT for your shipment? Please note that duties and/or VAT must be paid before delivery. This prevents you and the courier from having to touch debit or credit cards and payment devices.
- Paying duties and/or VAT is easy via On Demand Delivery or with the DHL Express Mobile App.
As a globally operating company, epidemic and pandemic risk scenarios are an integral part of DHL's ongoing risk planning. Accordingly, DHL's business activities are constantly being adjusted to reduce potential effects. A taskforce follows the situation closely and can take necessary measures at any time. The safety of our employees, customers and partners is paramount. All measures are consistent with those of the health authorities, in the Netherlands the RIVM.
Measures taken by DHL internally
DHL has taken necessary measures internally to protect employees, customers and partners against contamination and to prevent the virus to spread. These include at the least all measures issued by the RIVM, such as extra attention to hygiene and alertness to symptoms. Additionally, measures are taken to safeguard continuity of our core processes. These measures are continuously being addressed in internal communication and in daily management.
Impact on services
DHL is prepared for taking operational measures in the event that DHL sites are specifically affected. These are aimed at limiting the consequences for the delivery of services and protecting other parts of our company. DHL continuously monitors the situation and takes all necessary measures to protect employees, customers and partners and to ensure that our services continue to run as smoothly as possible. The health of our employees, customers and partners is always paramount.
More information on areas where our services are restricted or suspended due to the virus can be found in your online shipping application, or please refer to your account manager.
Questions related to the corona virus
Do you have questions about changes to our service due to the corona virus? Please contact your DHL Express account manager or view our most recent service update